Tuesday 10 January 2012

Vintage Outfits: The 1980s Ball

Hi!

I’m back from my break and kicking off 2012 with a bit of a retro dresscapade today.

Way back when (approximately December 2009) I shared a house with two law students who asked my friend Sadie (of The Vanity Case) and I to do a Lindy routine at their Christmas Law Ball.

In exchange for a free meal (and lets just say that most dancers are easily bought with a free dinner…) we agreed to do a small performance before they opened the dance floor to the Lawyers.

I’m not going to lie… the performance was dreadful! We were so nervous we forgot a large portion of the routine and I’m sure the look of horror wasn’t disguised too well.

But that’s not important!

What does matter is that the Ball was 1980s themed! Which meant dressing in a suitably bright way with big hair and bright makeup.

I tried to take a bit of inspiration from the Human League for the make up, and Alex from Ashes to Ashes for the hair.
80s makeup inspiration

Make up wise wasn't about being subtle for me, I rarely stray away from that classic black eyeliner look so I think I went a little bit over board with the blue. The high cheekbone blusher is ESSENTIAL for that 80s look and rounded off with a bright pink lipstick.
Now I'm no D.I. Drake, but clearly we both have impeccable choice of colours
The hair was quite short at this point so I rolled it during the day to add some curl and volume and sprayed it to make it as big as possible- with a big bow to make it a bit more girly.

For the outfit itself I had a shiny electric blue swing dress with cut batwing sleeves and an inbuilt petticoat that I purchased from a vintage seller from eBay for around £5. I added a classic 80s style patent waist belt and some gloves- it was a ball after all!

I couldn't resist a bit of lomography for that 80s feel :D
Sadly, I was wearing my dance shoes in the photo so you can’t get a sense of footware… nevermind. Pixy boots would be the perfect way to finish this look I think.

So that's it for now!

Just one side note, I had my tickets for London Super Comic con confirmed so I'm currently working on a costume for that- as what you ask? I'm not telling... yet... but watch this space!

Until then- Happy Dresscapades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...