Sunday 5 February 2012

Vintage Events: Brighton's Blind Pig Returns - Burlesque, Poles, Electro-Swing, Flappers and Frolicks!

After my interview with Carolyn Watt the lovely lady behind Blind Pig I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the latest event, tentatively titled ‘Blind Pig Returns’.

It promised to be an extravagant affair with music, dancing, burlesque, pole dancing and a live band all in the beautiful settings of the Proud Brighton Ballroom. This is just a quick overview of the event and some piccies, but if you want you can read a detailed review of the previous Blind Pig event you can do so here!

The event primarily caters musically for fans of electro-swing and with that in mind I chose to wear a vintage-style dress made by Pearl Lowe for Peacocks. Although it is more of a 50s shape I felt the lace styling would befit a modern speakeasy and well I just love the colour red, so why not! I also wore a pair of black brogues that are made for dancing! I also had a lot of fun with my hair this time too, after curling it I managed to pin it up in a sort of faux flapper look that I felt worked quite well. That is, if you can judge success by the fact it didn’t all fall down by the end of the night!


 This was also the first event that I had the opportunity to really test my new SLR and those performers really gave me a challenge! Here are a few of the acts:


Burlesque duo The Big Bad Wolf and Acacia Blue displayed a cheeky, comedy burlesque act…


Miss Bombshell entranced the audience with a athletic pole routine.




There was also an unusual double pole routine from Miss Steel and Ethan. I personally have never seen and act like this! I have always felt that pole work looks strenuous enough without having to worry about someone else accidentally kicking you in the face.


Then the wonderful Cherry Bella gave a burlesque and fire act to finish the night’s entertainment.


Then the party really got started...
The band This Is Laura played a short set before the DJ started spinning some more ‘clubby’ swing tunes.

This Is Laura       ...and I couldn't help wonder if the resident DJ was a fan of Star Trek TNG?










I also managed to get a few cheeky snaps of some of the best dressed of the night. A fantastic group of ladies who had all made the effort to dress the part and a  gentleman in what was EASILY the finest suit of the evening – I even managed to catch a still of Miss Doherty of the Vintage News team reporting on the night. I may have even fumbled my way through a very embarrassing interview with the news team too...


So that’s it for today! I’d apologise for all the pictures but I know that’s why you’re here :D

Bye for now!




2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! The double pole dance looks very unusual.

    I've tagged you, by the way, over on my blog... 11 questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie Jennie Jennie! This appeared on my facebook feed! I never knew you had a blog... and such a lovely one too!! Wedding dresses look amazing, I hope it all goes well for you! Randomly I was rooting through my art box today and I found that Fuzz poster with all out mugs on it! Seems like so long ago now! I hope you have made progress on your curing cancer dream and that life is treating you well!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...