Thursday 28 November 2013

Casual Cosplay: Clara from Doctor Who

Well, did anyone watch the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special last weekend? I know I did. I watched Doctor Who on a pretty regular basis but I stopper watching around the time the show became more about River Song than the Doctor and his assistants for reasons eloquently put into an article by my husband here. However I was reinvigorated with the arrival of new assistant Clara. But I don't really want to get into the plot of Doctor Who too much on here,  I want to talk about her wardrobe.

Image from Radiotimes.com
I think Clara's central wardrobe items are dresses, jackets, tights and boots. She seems to have a slightly vintage vibe too, maybe a little 60s with the button up blouses, peter pan collars and her parker or biker jacket. She seems to be dressed in a way that is fairly in fashion now, and I think that says a lot about how retro inspired current fashion has become... dare I say she dresses a little bit hipster (I don't mean that in a derogatory way I don't think hipster fashion is as dire as some people suggest)?

Image credit: Adrian Rogers/BBC Worldwide
So I decided to have a go. Now since I've recently had my hair lopped off I needed to wear a wig so that my hair would roughly be in a similar style. Out comes the Kerry again from Wonderland Wigs, the same one I wore for my Princess Daisy costume, I used a short vintage dress with a jumper for the below look. The dress is from the 1950s and is a lovely fine crepe fabric, it seemed a shame to cover up the rest of it with a jumper, but I don't own a biker jacket so this was as close as I could get.

I do have a black jacket similar to a parker, but it is really just a rain coat and it is very light. I thought it served for the picture but I am on the look out for a proper snuggly fur/fleece lined parker to wear while I cycle to work.


This look I liked the dark blue dresses and the shoulder satchel, I was really intrigued by the whole blazer jacket style effect. To try this out, I actually borrowed my husbands suit jacket, but I have seen some reasonably priced similar to the jacket below in Primark this season.

 Last but not least is Clara's most iconic look, the plaid dress. Tartan/plaid is so in vogue now (I do love tartan as seen here and here) in fact, I believe that Primark (yes, again) produced a very similar dress that is sold out in many stores, but they also made the dress in a few other colours, and a slightly different style with softer lines and a more chiffonny feel (see below). The check is more subtle, but I do like this alternative 'Clara' dress too.









Anywho, that's it for my Clara inspired looks. All in all they're not too different from my usual looks. But it was kinda fun messing around in the wig too. Its just a shame I don't have legs like JLC!

Which Doctor Who assistant is your favourite?


No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...