Tuesday 26 August 2014

A Vintage Hibiscus Style Print Dress

As we approach the end of summer I've been reflecting on how obsessed I've been with tropical prints lately. Hawaiian, tropical, hibiscus and tiki are great summery prints and they come in lots of different variations on colours and styles.

The repro shop collectif usually have a bunch I great designs in tiki (and more) for the summer months and this can be a great place to look but, as usual, I was after a bargain.

I found this dress on eBay (as always) and it was not very loved with only a few bids. It's. It's not often that you find anything vintage with its accessories intact so the fact that this one came with a belt too was very appealing. So I decided to take a punt and buy the dress (for just under £10  in the end).



 I have always loved the colour teal and turquoise so I was immediately drawn to this dress and I think the huge pinky orange flowers are charming (are they hibiscus?). I also really love the fact that there are buttons on the back of the dress so that you do t see any fastenings at the front or sides!

 I don't really have any idea when this dress is from and it has no labels that I can see so who knows. 


I was quite concerned about the fit. It is not often that I am able to find a more fitted dress that has a large enough skirt in which to fit my very ample arse :( But when it arrived it was near perfect! A tiny bit tight at the bust but generally pretty spot on! I also adore the patch pockets. It is a tad shorter than I'd like but there is quite a bit if hem I can let down so that's a problem easily solved.

I took these pictures on SUCH a windy day, as you can probably tell from the blustery hair so I felt that I had to tie my hair up and out of the way.


But now my fringe is on the way out!! Yes!!!

It is finally long enough to put in to rolls (although not long enough to not be a real pain when doing them). So I have been practising to try and get back into the swing of it again.

These are just 3 asymmetric elevated pin/barrel curls to get me started. They're far from perfect but it's a start!

Do you have a favourite summer dress this year?


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the colors! It just makes me want to run to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running to the beach is good, running on the beach is a bit more tricky ;P

      Delete
  2. This color combination is so lovely vibrant on you. I hope you also wear this lovely dress in the dead of winter to remind us of the bold beautiful colors of spring and summer:) Very beautiful, also really love the glasses too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During winter I always seem to retreat into navys, reds and blacks. I think there is something really vibrant about dressing a summer dress for winter, I've seen other people do it but I've not really tried. I will have to try!

      Delete
  3. Very nice dress! It looks great on you and the colors are lovely :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, that makes me hopeful that my Sailor Neptune/Michiru costumes wont look really silly ;)

      Delete

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...