Sunday 26 October 2014

A 1950s Red Vintage Check Dress

Today I want to share a lovely little shirt waisted dress that I got from Snoopers Paradise in Brighton a little while back. It was a touch snug so I've not really worn it often but that's all changed now :D I think the dark red it a perfect colour for autumn.

I got the dress for £20 which is very unusual for a vintage dress, especially one in a size 18 (roughly a modern 12-14) however it had a big hole in the under arm, no slip and some repair needed to the waist. I imagine it would have looked terrible to anyone who didn't sew, but it was super easy to fix up with my sewing machine. Took around 20 minutes including the time it took to dig the machine out of the cupboard.

I have no idea what the fabric is, it is that slightly shiny fabric that is a bit like taffeta but much thinner, I've seen quite a few dresses of this era made from it, and would love to know what it is, so if you have an idea, please put me out of my misery!



To complete the outfit I wore a black cardigan and belt (that actually came with a different skirt, but oh well!) a vintage hand bag and a pair of soft soled clogs from Lotta from Stockholm.


And with my pointy boob cup doreen bra to give it the perfect bust shape:



I also did something a little experimental with my hair. I found that lately I had been missing my blonde stripes so I took a leap and bought some clip in extensions. I got two from eBay and they were super duper cheap (about 99p each) so I thought I'd give one a spin. Quite literally in a hair roll. In hindsight I think I should have put two in there for symmetries sake but I think you get the idea.


Dress: Vintage
Belt: Vintage
Cardigan: M&S
Necklace: Vintage
Shoes: Lotta from Stockholm
Bag: Vintage

Have you ever snagged a bargain because it needed a little work to fix it?


1 comment:

  1. That looks really great! I love your hair like that. My hair is at the annoying length where it's not long enough to do proper curls, and it's too short to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...