Wednesday 4 December 2013

My first pair of glasses...

Now I must confess that in my time I have worn a fake pair of glasses. Not those wayfarer style hipster glasses but a pair of lovely vintage-style frames I found in a flea market... well I wore them once.But in a cruel twist of payback it turns out I have slightly weird eyesight, and I now have glasses. Real glasses. With a prescription and everything. Well, in one eye. Yeah I have freaky eyes and one is more short sighted that the other that is 20/20, I've managed to get by for quite a long time with a bit of a 'weird feeling' in one eye but the whole things was exacerbated when I started working at school and well, I need the glasses to look at the board and not get a headache. Yeah, seriously. I'm sure many long term glasses wearers are familiar with this story. I also need them for cycling and the suchlike.Anywho, I used a voucher for a free eye test from the back of an Argos receipt to go and get my eyes checked and once my prescription was handed to me, I have to decide what to do about buying glasses.Fortunately for me, I remember seeing a post on the Agoraphobic Fashionista about some glasses she got from Specspost  a super bargainistic website with tonnes of glasses in loads of different styles.I was super nervous about buying glasses since I've never done it before, but I thought somewhat naively that I know what shape sunglasses suit me, glasses must be the same right? Well I think I got lucky this time and picked up a pair of 'Geek Fashion Glasses' which I think suit me, although I will admit that the £23 price tag including lenses may have had something to do with it.Here I am wearing my new goggles:There are a few other pairs I'd like to try from Specspost, but I wasn't as confident they'd suit me so I went with a more generic shape, but I am definitely intrigues by the shuffle and the Mrs O.Do you where glasses? If so, where do you get them from?




8 comments:

  1. They are nice!
    I wear glasses, I get them from my opticians. I have a pretty small face, and a very strong prescription, meaning very thick lenses, so I try on the smallest frames I can find. Because I'm so short sighted I then ask my boyfriend or the shop assistant if they look OK - I literally can't focus on my face in the mirror unless I'm wearing my prescription specs.
    I've only ever had one pair of glasses at a time, because of the expense. With my prescription I tend to get the lenses thinned down a bit, which means a new pair costs approximately £250. I don't think I've ever got a pair for as little as £23! That's a brilliant price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We offer thinner lens too the price vary's depending on your prescription but its unlikely to be anywhere near as expensive. We do a home trial service so you can try frames on at home before you buy. Get someone to take a photo of you wearing the frames your trying on so you can see what they look like. Almost as good as looking in the mirror.

      Delete
    2. That's really expensive :( No wonder people get fed up with glasses if you have to pay that much and can only get one pair!

      Delete
    3. Thanks both! Specspost - I'll try you out when I next need a new prescription, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous glasses! Sounds like you might have an astigmatism. My boyfriend is in optics, he's the guy that will set and make your frames for you, so I normally like to find vintage frames for cheap on Etsy and bring them in to have my prescription put in. Welcome to the wonderful world of eyelasses! It can be fun, I promise. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just something else to obsess over :( I like having cardigans in all styles and colours, gloves, shoes and now glasses. Its just another thing I shouldn't spend my money on. Having said that there were so cheap I didn't mind too much!

      Delete
  3. Really love those glasses with your cute haircut!! I love wearing glasses and have for twelve years now. It gets easier with time. I love my cat eye frames by Lulu Guiness, but I'm always searching for options with vintage eyewear. Since frames are so pricey, I really love how much these are the website you linked in the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to get new lenses put into my vintage frames, maybe after christmas. Its terrible, I am finding myself lusting after people's glasses all the time now! Retro Chick posted about some lovely vintage style ones from Tesco but they're just too pricey for the moment.

      Delete

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...